|Building Owner:||Princeton University|
|City / State:||Princeton, NJ|
|Project Size:||5600 ft²|
|Roof System:||Sika Sarnafil Waterproofing|
Princeton University is a private Ivy League research university located in Princeton, New Jersey. Founded in 1746 in Elizabeth as the College of New Jersey, Princeton is one of the nine Colonial Colleges established before the American Revolution as well as the fourth chartered institution of higher education in the American colonies. The institution moved to Newark in 1747, then to the current site nine years later where it was renamed as a University in 1896. Princeton was ranked the #1 National University in 2013 with 5,336 undergraduates.
One building located on this amazing campus is Jadwin Hall, headquarters of the Department of Physics, dedicated in 1970 as a memorial to Stanley Palmer Jadwin, whose widow on her death in 1964 left $27 million -- virtually the entire family estate -- to the University.
Jadwin Hall stands just west of Palmer Stadium and southwest of Peyton Hall and is connected by a joint library located beneath the plaza between them. Counting the two levels beneath the plaza, Jadwin Hall has altogether six floors, containing an impressive ninety laboratories, eighty-four offices, and eight classrooms.
Jadwin Hall was designed by Hugh Stubbins & Associates of Cambridge, Massachusetts. Its basic construction is of reinforced concrete and steel, and the principal exterior materials are Canadian granite and brick. The plaza is paved with a stone known as London Walk.
In 2009, Princeton University started a large renovation of Jadwin Hall. During this renovation it was decided by the University at that time to include the renovation of the 3rd and 4th floor plaza decks. Charles F. Evans Company, Inc. was awarded this work contracted direct with Princeton University.
The project consists of 56 squares of plaza deck waterproofing on two levels located on the 3rd and 4th floors facing the interior courtyard of the 6-story building. The project started with the removal of two-inch, 2’x2’ concrete pavers then storing them in the courtyard below to be used for reinstallation. To accomplish this it required a 180-ton crane set up at the exterior of the building. The pavers were palletized then lifted “blind” from the crane outside the building reaching over the six stories and lowering them to the ground level interior courtyard. Special safety precautions were taken to protect the faculty and students by barricading off areas with spotters to control who had access. Several practice trials were performed prior to the actual lifting of materials. The plaza decks had 3-foot wide by 6-foot long wood planters along the entire outside perimeter of the roofs on top of the parapet walls. A subcontractor was hired to vacuum out the wood planter’s soil before the crane could remove them to store of the 6th story roof.
Now with the pavers and planters removed the next phase was to remove the existing BUR and then hand scrapped to remove any residual asphalt. The concrete deck was then scarified and then grounded twice by our masonry subcontractor to have a completely cleaned surface for the Sika Sarnafil installation.